Cooking North African-Inspired Citrusy Sweets On The Queen Latifah Show

Posted on February 4, 2014 by & filed under food.

IMG_0409

I first fell head over heels with rose water backpacking through Northern Africa. The delicate floral flavoring is used around the globe in many applications from Middle Eastern candies like Turkish delight and baklava to Southeast Asian sweets like bandung and Indian rice puddings. When used sparingly, it adds a subtle aromatic quality unlike any other. And it’s particularly wonderful when added to sweet dishes using winter citrus, like my orange rosewater polenta cake.

So when Curtis Stone rung me up to come cook my favorite citrus dish for the Queen (Latifah, that is!), I happily obliged and went to my exotic cake. I mean, she’s on fire right now with the Grammys and the Super Bowl appearances.

Though I’d love to take credit for being the first to bake using rose water, it’s been utilized in baked goods for quite some time now. In fact, up until the 19th century, bakers across the globe commonly used rosewater before vanilla became popular. It also is a nice accompaniment to citrus, so we decided to riff on an old recipe from Gourmet Magazine to make something truly unique for the Queen and her court.

You can find the recipe here. And of course, be sure to watch the show Tuesday on CBS!

Had a blasty blast chatting food and social media with these badass babes @whatsgabycookin @lesliedurso @gigieats at the UCLA Restaurant Industry Conference. And a special shout out to Leslie's Stretch Armstrong arms for making this selfie a reality!
Last night I enjoyed the loveliest, mostly plant-based meal at the rad @scratchbarla @thegadareneswine pop-up @coachella. This colorful roasted cauliflower dish with cauli stem "jerkey" was one of my faves, along with the INCREDIBLE coconut custard w/mojito granita and brown sugar crumble. Coachella really has grown up!
Starting out the day with power yoga and green juice with my boo at the Hawaiian Tropic/Nanette Lepore party at one of my fave Palm Springs properties. Time to reset before round 3! 🌴👍
I am freaking giddy in love with every nook and cranny of this property. Can I please keep the bird's nest? Pretty please?!? 😍
If you're looking for some calm amidst the @Coachella storm, do yourself a favor and book one of the Outstanding in the Field long table farm dinners. Great wine and cocktails are a' flowin, and you'll get one of the most gorge meals with desert palms and the Sahara tent as your backdrop. Always such a treat, this has definitely become one of my Coachella traditions. (If you're out here, you can book thru the @Reserve app.)🌴🍷🍴👌
The fine folks @TheFareTrade featured me as their guest editor this month, and did a fun Q&A on how I've turned my passion for culinary adventure and food storytelling into a career. It was a real treat to reflect on my journey, and I hope it might inspire some of you to find what you love and figure out a way to make a living doing it! You can check it out at the link in my profile. 🙏
Feeling SO MUCH CLOSER to human after a fabulous facial @dermalogica and an awesome smoothie pick-me-up from @KreationJuice. My skin was tired with a capital T after all the boats, busses, cabs, and planes, and this was just what I needed. Now time to start logging footage and answering the mountains of emails! 👊 How do you reset and bring back balance after a trip?
Let's be honest, coming home from incredible international travel can kinda suck. What I do love, though, is getting back in the kitchen and cooking! I started off today clean with this pomegranate blueberry bowl, made with heaps of fresh fruit, kale, oats and sunflower seeds, plus some of my fave Vega powder for good measure. Now off to yoga to set my system straight!
I just feel so at home, so genuinely happy, and so truly ME by the sea. Guess that's why my parents called me The Little Mermaid growing up. 💙🌊😎 #fathominstatrip
So. Much. Seafood. ❤️ing the Anguillan style of celebrating the sea at Festival Del Mar. #fathominstatrip #beachesnresorts
I mean, is this place for REAL? I didn't know blues like this existed... 🌊🌴💙 #beachesnresorts
Sunset. Bankie Banx. Champs. Nuff said. Anguilla, I'm yours. #beachesnresorts
Poured tableside, this vibrant carrot gazpacho with the tenderest, freshest conch crudo caught by local fisherman is the epitome of polished island dining. Chef Jeremy Bearman -- formerly of Rouge Tomate in NYC -- is KILLING IT at the newly revamped @Malliouhana in Anguilla. 🙌🙌🙌
Holy crap you guys! These island avocados are HUGE!!!! This thing doesn't even fit in the frame. When I saw it at the market I freaked out, giving my fellow travelers a laugh. But who's laughing now!?! Everyone wants a taste of this California girl gone Caribbean breakfast. (Not pictured: side of Rockfield's fiery Anguillan hot sauce.)
On of the great things about this island is that as many ways as there are to eat well, there are to work it off. Think if I paddled out to that yacht the skipper would let me go down the water slide? (And more importantly, is this place even real?!?) #beachesnresorts
Salt used the be the main industry here in Anguilla, but was pretty much wiped out since the tourism boom in the 70s. Now Matthew Webster and the team at Anguilla Sea Salt are bringing back the storied artisan craft, harvesting from the pristine azure Anguillan waters. Incredible stuff! 🌊👍
After nearly 20 hours of travel, I am ADORING this rum punch! So happy to have finally arrived in Anguilla, and with such a warm welcome. Can't wait to explore more island-style eats over the next few days! #beachesnresorts
Ohio-based creamery @JenisIceCreams just opened in Los Feliz, and I'm so smitten with their Brambleberry Crisp, shown here scooped into a fresh house made waffle cone. (Apologies for the obligatory floor/mani shot, but I couldn't resist. And neither should you!) 🍧👌
Indulging in my absolute favorite springtime snack, simple steamed 'chokes with lemony garlic aioli. No joke, I just polished off two of these while lounging and watching TV, and I could probably go for two more. The obsession is real, people. So happy spring is here!
It's Friday, and that means my favorite food group -- aka BRUNCH! -- is on the horizon. If you adore smoked fish and bagels like I do, try the incredible white fish salad @fredsatbarneys. Also, hello! There's a killer rooftop patio with an LA view that just begs for a mimosa-fueled gossip sesh. Plus the best window shopping around is downstairs. Get it girls! ☀️🎣🍹

21 Responses to “Cooking North African-Inspired Citrusy Sweets On The Queen Latifah Show”

1. crack

Thank you, I’ve recently been searching for information approximately this subject for ages
    and yours is the greatest I’ve came upon till now.
    But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive concerning the
    source?

2. plastic surgeon ximed

Aside from that, interview former patients to obtain first-hand insight into a particular cosmetic surgeon’s
    methods, approach, and techniques to plastic surgery. And a proficient plastic
    surgeon with a lot of experience, can take that even further.
    Women are more likely to undergo plastic surgery but some
    males also undergo this medical procedure if they think they
    need to have some major changes in their body.

3. self tan wipes

Every year I have friends along with their wives that stay for Bike Week.
    You can get positive results of golden brown color with the help
    these spray tanning products. As the mousse is tinted it does stain the palms of your hands really easily.
    Like other processes, spray tanning also has its own advantages and disadvantages.
    With the help of few easy steps, spray tan can be applied from home.
    Fact is a great looking tan does make you look healthy and some people down right hot.

The companies engaged in such a service are known to make use
    of devices which are renowned in the industry. To be able to get the right product, you’d generally
    browse websites of different online sellers of such products
    and choose the most reliable one. This may take time to register your business and
    obtain all the correct licenses. If you find a problem with a LV bag they will usually accept returns.

4. Boca Raton CPAt test ct

Two questions frequently asked by Network
    Marketers are What kind of business records do I have to keep for the IRS.
    In a photography business in particular, here are a number of items that are assets to be
    listed for your business. The online offering will cost
    you $99 to setup up with monthly fees.

Check out my page :: Boca Raton CPAt test ct

5. marine refrigerator window screen repairs miami

Furthermore, feeding live food is difficult as all live meals have a
    much higher risk in bringing bad bacteria or microorganisms that maybe harmful to your fish.
    With the high temperature sensitivity of some perishable goods, it’s easy to understand why so many companies rely on vacuum insulated panels such a Thermo – Cor to ensure the quality of their products.

Use your guam tar on the net trap and go at least two squares away from it.

Feel free to surf to my webpage … marine refrigerator window screen repairs miami

6. moving companies in michigan city indiana

During the entire packing and moving processes,
    moving firms of Delhi NCR provides utmost care. The equation is the other way around and long distance movers would not be ideal
    for local moving jobs. In a consumer service
    industry where each member’s professional integrity is collectively criticized by mainstream media pundits at the start each new moving
    season, Interstate is one of the good guys.

My web-site – moving companies in michigan city indiana

7. dove fake tan

We’ll show how to accomplish this with just a few simple steps.
    Since 10% of California’s budget goes to pay for its prison system, the idea
    is that AB 109 will free up billions in the state budget. Back to your
    skin check, the first time you do the check be sure to
    take as many pictures as possible to show what your skin looks
    like.

Look into my blog dove fake tan

8. nose job uneven nostrils

The questions you should ask your plastic surgeon before rhinoplasty should be about the safety of the procedure, its efficiency,
    and most importantly, its appropriateness for your body and whether it would offer results in line
    with your expectations. Nathan Newman is world renowned for his advanced cosmetic surgery procedures.
    Those who want to get rid of such problems must have tried various anti-ageing products, but found no
    result.

My homepage … nose job uneven nostrils

9. Boca Raton CPAt

Deegan was arrested and charged with human trafficking and drug
    possession after cops busted in and found the girls being held hostage.
    Outsourcing accounting services for small business owners is workable for
    those who want to turn their focus on their companies
    and find a way to maximise their profitability. Itemized deductions and personal exemptions do not affect self-employment taxes.

Feel free to surf to my weblog Boca Raton CPAt

10. acne facials

However, sometimes we need to do something a little more
    adventurous, or perhaps a little more pointedly self-serving.
    There are many forms of lasers available for skin resurfacing.

By changing the size & shape of the nose, this cosmetic nose can positively influence the balance of facial features.

My web page – acne facials

11. xen fake tan

We’ll show how to accomplish this with just a few simple steps.
    Often the cancer can be removed from the skin, but 2,000 people still die
    annually, according to the American Cancer Society.
    Does it give out an aura of all-around cleanliness.

Feel free to visit my webpage; xen fake tan

12. hair care products pantene

Fortunately, there are a number of treatments available if you suffer from this unfortunate
    condition. The platinum blonde is a much sought after persona, and the look,
    an elegant and beautiful one if carried off properly, is a much desired and
    much employed part of dressing up. Have Some
    Much more Derm – Organic Care For The Locks.

my homepage :: hair care products pantene

13. john p miller CPA Boca Raton fl

For example, if your home office is 100 square feet and your home is a total of 2000
    square feet, then your percentage is 5%. Many people
    are making a lot of money promoting CPA offers, but as usual, there is a lot
    of misinformation floating around. Itemized deductions
    and personal exemptions do not affect self-employment taxes.

Take a look at my blog post … john p miller CPA Boca Raton fl