Cooking North African-Inspired Citrusy Sweets On The Queen Latifah Show

Posted on February 4, 2014 by & filed under food.

IMG_0409

I first fell head over heels with rose water backpacking through Northern Africa. The delicate floral flavoring is used around the globe in many applications from Middle Eastern candies like Turkish delight and baklava to Southeast Asian sweets like bandung and Indian rice puddings. When used sparingly, it adds a subtle aromatic quality unlike any other. And it’s particularly wonderful when added to sweet dishes using winter citrus, like my orange rosewater polenta cake.

So when Curtis Stone rung me up to come cook my favorite citrus dish for the Queen (Latifah, that is!), I happily obliged and went to my exotic cake.Β I mean, she’s on fire right now with the Grammys and the Super Bowl appearances.

Though I’d love to take credit for being the first to bake using rose water, it’s been utilized in baked goods for quite some time now. In fact, up until the 19th century, bakers across the globe commonly used rosewater before vanilla became popular. It also is a nice accompaniment to citrus, so we decided to riff on an old recipe from Gourmet Magazine to make something truly unique for the Queen and her court.

You can find the recipe here.Β And of course, be sure to watch the show Tuesday on CBS!

International markets are 100% my happy place. I'm literally a kid in a candy/pickle/ produce store! I adored Nishiki Market in Kyoto so much that I just had to create this mini video tour for ya. And in case you're curious about that nibble at the end, it's tako tomago -- squid stuffed with a quail egg in a sweet BBQ sauce. Turns out, "put an egg on it," is indeed a universal language. πŸ™πŸ³πŸ‘πŸΌ
Loved breaking bun with @aidamollenkamp @nonglacafe this afternoon, talking travel, food, girl power and the grand hustle. Big things poppin', lil things stoppin'! πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸœπŸ’‹
Okay, I lied, one last snap from Japan. This one is too darn pretty not to post tho, I think. These octopus were looking almost floral at the freshest seafood market in the world. #takemeback
Wrapping up my Japan posts with a shot from the onsen outside Kyoto. In my mind, there truly is no better way to unwind than wading in your birthday suit amidst lush natural hot springs. This is the way many Japanese vacation -- we were the only Westerners at the ryokan, where we slept on tatami mats on the floor -- and I'm inclined think that if we all just took some time to read, write, reflect and just BE, we'd be happier, much more present, pleasant people. Wandering around all day in a robe doesn't hurt either. πŸ˜‰ #robelife
Only handful of ancient Japanese businesses are ‘senzen’ (before the Onin War), and I was lucky enough to visit one in Kyoto -- a world class knife maker named Shigeharu. The workshop was originally founded in the Kamakura period (1190-1329), has no website, and is completely off the beaten path. And holy cow, not only is the santoku I purchased absolutely beautiful, it's by far the sharpest, most precise, natural feeling knife I've ever used! Speaking with the craftsman using my VERY minimal Japanese while scribbling pictures of what fruits and fish each knife is used for will definitely be a cherished memory of this trip. Pictured are some of his great grandfather's knives and tools. I'm not big on souvenirs, but this one has significance to last a lifetime. πŸ™πŸ”ͺ
Normally not into the whole feet-and-food photo thing, but I couldn't resist this shot. Man oh man do I miss wearing a kimono all day. I don't care what you fashionistas say, robes + socks + sandals are where it's at! #ihavethisthingwithfloors #latergram #howyouglow
You can't fault a girl for being happy; Inari Temple had crispy karaage, vibrant Shinto shrines, AND cuddly wuddly shiba inus. I mean, it'd be a crime NOT to be this giddy! πŸΊπŸ—πŸ™πŸΌ (Thx @mkretovics for snapping this shot of me on the road in Kyoto. )
Good morning, gorgeous. This bouquet of edamame is a perfect illustration of the understated elegance of Japan. It's all in the details, people.
Throwing back xaio long bao while perusing the collections at the #MadeinChina designer showcase at American Rag. The soup dumplings and street style are bringing me straight back to Shanghai! (@AmericanRagOfficial is expanding with stores in Shanghai and Beijing this June.) Great running into @sandgater and @boothmoore, too.πŸ‡¨πŸ‡³πŸœ
#TBT to this off-the-chains Japanese strawberry glazed donut I had at the train station for our ryokan outside Kyoto. Yep, those are REAL strawberries in the glaze. Japanese strawberries are smaller and sweeter and just more intensely awesome than what you get in Cali, believe it or not, and man are they good, esp in donut form. The matcha chocolate nibble didn't hurt the case either. Usually donuts are too sweet and heavy for my liking, but the desserts here seem so lighter and more balanced. πŸ˜πŸ©πŸ“
Going thru severe sashimi withdrawals at the moment. πŸ˜“ This glorious chirashi bowl was packed to the brim with sweet, delicate Hokkaido uni, scallops, shrimp, hamachi, and the fluffiest tomago yaki I've had. And it was SO CHEAP. Two of us ate for $30. I really was scared that Japan would break my bank, but there is a ton of wonderful food to be had outside the Michelin starred spots that carry those notoriously hefty price tags. The only real financial issue is that now all I want to do is buy a plane ticket back!
Totally craving something sweet this afternoon and wishing I could be back in Harajuku lapping up this amazing ice cream cone made with fresh Hokkaido dairy topped with choux pastry crumbles. Take me baaaaaack! πŸ˜πŸ‡―πŸ‡΅πŸ¦
These super kawaii baby lobster rolls at last night's @infatuation @microsoftlumiaus dinner had everyone swooning! Thanks for the warm welcome back from Japan, #lumiaXinfatuation! #eeeeeats #infatuationLA
Many travelers flock to Tsukiji Fish Market to catch a glimpse of the giant bluefin tuna auctions, but to me it's all about the little guys. They're what's going to keep this place -- and the oceans -- alive, after all. Glistening sardines, firefly squid, sanma, and saba were just a few of my fave sightings (and eatings!) this trip. What an incredible experience to finally see this iconic spot, which is the largest wholesale fish market in the world. I mean, it dates back to the 16th century! πŸŒŠπŸ‡―πŸ‡΅πŸŽ£
Move over bone broth, a new stock has stolen my heart! I learned the subtle art of making dashi from chef Matsamisu Taima, who taught me all about the nuance of blending katsuobushi (dried skipjack) and kombu (dried kelp) to make the perfect broth. He uses a vintage kombu dried naturally for 3 years that fetches $90/kilo. The result is the cleanest, most comforting sip that tastes like the purest essence of the sea. 🌊😍
Crazy to share sizzling organ meats and cold beers with friends from home halfway across the globe in the most unassuming of locations, Memory Lane. This maze of grimy, smokey alleyways was originally established in the 1940s, and is filled with yakitori vendors, black market dealers, and salary men knocking a few back after work. I mean, who doesn't adore meat on a stick? Amirite? πŸ‡―πŸ‡΅πŸΊπŸ’
Snacking on omusubi and Asahi on the Shinkansen from Kyoto>Tokyo while studying up on the local cocktail scene in @bonappetitmag's rad new Will Fly For Food issue. Thx for the handy lowdown @andrewoknowlton! πŸ‡―πŸ‡΅πŸΊπŸ‘ŒπŸΌ #BAreaders
Absolutely blown away by the rail system in Japan. Not only is incredibly efficient, clean, and shockingly simple to navigate, but it's a fantastic way to see the countryside. Oh, and the FOOD! These darling gals come by with pushcarts loaded with bentos and masubi and booze. It's the best! If only air travel were this fabulous.
I want ALL THE PICKLES! πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸΌ
Geisha in Gion.

21 Responses to “Cooking North African-Inspired Citrusy Sweets On The Queen Latifah Show”

1. crack

Thank you, I’ve recently been searching for information approximately this subject for ages
    and yours is the greatest I’ve came upon till now.
    But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive concerning the
    source?

2. plastic surgeon ximed

Aside from that, interview former patients to obtain first-hand insight into a particular cosmetic surgeon’s
    methods, approach, and techniques to plastic surgery. And a proficient plastic
    surgeon with a lot of experience, can take that even further.
    Women are more likely to undergo plastic surgery but some
    males also undergo this medical procedure if they think they
    need to have some major changes in their body.

3. self tan wipes

Every year I have friends along with their wives that stay for Bike Week.
    You can get positive results of golden brown color with the help
    these spray tanning products. As the mousse is tinted it does stain the palms of your hands really easily.
    Like other processes, spray tanning also has its own advantages and disadvantages.
    With the help of few easy steps, spray tan can be applied from home.
    Fact is a great looking tan does make you look healthy and some people down right hot.

The companies engaged in such a service are known to make use
    of devices which are renowned in the industry. To be able to get the right product, you’d generally
    browse websites of different online sellers of such products
    and choose the most reliable one. This may take time to register your business and
    obtain all the correct licenses. If you find a problem with a LV bag they will usually accept returns.

4. Boca Raton CPAt test ct

Two questions frequently asked by Network
    Marketers are What kind of business records do I have to keep for the IRS.
    In a photography business in particular, here are a number of items that are assets to be
    listed for your business. The online offering will cost
    you $99 to setup up with monthly fees.

Check out my page :: Boca Raton CPAt test ct

5. marine refrigerator window screen repairs miami

Furthermore, feeding live food is difficult as all live meals have a
    much higher risk in bringing bad bacteria or microorganisms that maybe harmful to your fish.
    With the high temperature sensitivity of some perishable goods, it’s easy to understand why so many companies rely on vacuum insulated panels such a Thermo – Cor to ensure the quality of their products.

Use your guam tar on the net trap and go at least two squares away from it.

Feel free to surf to my webpage … marine refrigerator window screen repairs miami

6. moving companies in michigan city indiana

During the entire packing and moving processes,
    moving firms of Delhi NCR provides utmost care. The equation is the other way around and long distance movers would not be ideal
    for local moving jobs. In a consumer service
    industry where each member’s professional integrity is collectively criticized by mainstream media pundits at the start each new moving
    season, Interstate is one of the good guys.

My web-site – moving companies in michigan city indiana

7. dove fake tan

We’ll show how to accomplish this with just a few simple steps.
    Since 10% of California’s budget goes to pay for its prison system, the idea
    is that AB 109 will free up billions in the state budget. Back to your
    skin check, the first time you do the check be sure to
    take as many pictures as possible to show what your skin looks
    like.

Look into my blog dove fake tan

8. nose job uneven nostrils

The questions you should ask your plastic surgeon before rhinoplasty should be about the safety of the procedure, its efficiency,
    and most importantly, its appropriateness for your body and whether it would offer results in line
    with your expectations. Nathan Newman is world renowned for his advanced cosmetic surgery procedures.
    Those who want to get rid of such problems must have tried various anti-ageing products, but found no
    result.

My homepage … nose job uneven nostrils

9. Boca Raton CPAt

Deegan was arrested and charged with human trafficking and drug
    possession after cops busted in and found the girls being held hostage.
    Outsourcing accounting services for small business owners is workable for
    those who want to turn their focus on their companies
    and find a way to maximise their profitability. Itemized deductions and personal exemptions do not affect self-employment taxes.

Feel free to surf to my weblog Boca Raton CPAt

10. acne facials

However, sometimes we need to do something a little more
    adventurous, or perhaps a little more pointedly self-serving.
    There are many forms of lasers available for skin resurfacing.

By changing the size & shape of the nose, this cosmetic nose can positively influence the balance of facial features.

My web page – acne facials

11. xen fake tan

We’ll show how to accomplish this with just a few simple steps.
    Often the cancer can be removed from the skin, but 2,000 people still die
    annually, according to the American Cancer Society.
    Does it give out an aura of all-around cleanliness.

Feel free to visit my webpage; xen fake tan

12. hair care products pantene

Fortunately, there are a number of treatments available if you suffer from this unfortunate
    condition. The platinum blonde is a much sought after persona, and the look,
    an elegant and beautiful one if carried off properly, is a much desired and
    much employed part of dressing up. Have Some
    Much more Derm – Organic Care For The Locks.

my homepage :: hair care products pantene

13. john p miller CPA Boca Raton fl

For example, if your home office is 100 square feet and your home is a total of 2000
    square feet, then your percentage is 5%. Many people
    are making a lot of money promoting CPA offers, but as usual, there is a lot
    of misinformation floating around. Itemized deductions
    and personal exemptions do not affect self-employment taxes.

Take a look at my blog post … john p miller CPA Boca Raton fl