Cooking North African-Inspired Citrusy Sweets On The Queen Latifah Show

Posted by & filed under food.

IMG_0409

I first fell head over heels with rose water backpacking through Northern Africa. The delicate floral flavoring is used around the globe in many applications from Middle Eastern candies like Turkish delight and baklava to Southeast Asian sweets like bandung and Indian rice puddings. When used sparingly, it adds a subtle aromatic quality unlike any other. And it’s particularly wonderful when added to sweet dishes using winter citrus, like my orange rosewater polenta cake.

So when Curtis Stone rung me up to come cook my favorite citrus dish for the Queen (Latifah, that is!), I happily obliged and went to my exotic cake. I mean, she’s on fire right now with the Grammys and the Super Bowl appearances.

Though I’d love to take credit for being the first to bake using rose water, it’s been utilized in baked goods for quite some time now. In fact, up until the 19th century, bakers across the globe commonly used rosewater before vanilla became popular. It also is a nice accompaniment to citrus, so we decided to riff on an old recipe from Gourmet Magazine to make something truly unique for the Queen and her court.

You can find the recipe here. And of course, be sure to watch the show Tuesday on CBS!

Spanish tuna nicoise on top,  chicken cobb on the bottom, and a Hot Lei (coconut water, pineapple, lemon, honey, cayenne) to finish. Boom!
Bento and I bid you a very restful holiday weekend.
Maple glazed heirloom carrots and radishes for a late lunch here at Casita de Krista. Now, time for yoga!
Totally in love with @MatteisTavern Asian-inspired grilled avocado with fresh wasabi and ponzu. Perfect for Labor Day Weekend #grilling! Recipe link in my profile.
My #CurrentObsession: the wacky and whimsical food "vehicles" @Barton_G_LA...and the redonkulously good churros with Chinese 5 spice hot cocoa that come in them! Link to story in my profile.
#LunchAlDesko: kale salad with seared bison, Saint Agur blue, raisins, radishes, and red grapes. Finished with @jacobsensaltco for good measure:-) Cc @bonappetitmag.
Happy #NationalDogDay to the most regal Shiba in all the land and my bestest of friends, Mr. Bento Beans.
Behold, the coffee cake of your dreams @republiqueLA -- moist and fluffy as can be, topped with ripe CA figs and *just* the right crumble. Thanks for saving me a slice, @letmeeatcake!
As far as Monday evenings go, this is pretttttty good. Really enjoying @zoenathanloeb's @huckcafe cookbook and quality time with Bento. Polka dot pages FTW!
Flat white and a macchiato @handlebarcoffee with @mkretovics before heading home. Ahhh, why must weekends END? 🍷☕️🌿💃☀️
Morning run through the vineyards, the smell of ripe grapes and wet earth in the air. Harvest really is the best time of the year! Great way to kick off @melissamachat's bday weekend in Santa Inez!
Raise a glass to the end of summer with this lovely rhubarb, fennel, and blood orange cocktail. It's the best way to beat the heat, and can be prebatched for your Labor Day shenanigans. Recipe on my blog, link in my profile!
I grew some tomatoes and basil and put burrata on them. It's been one of my best life decisions thus far.
Sunday 'que with my favorite Texans, @bludsosbar and @mkretovics.
Daydreaming of the colorful and delightfully creamy carrot butter risotto @fundamentalLA. Their tasting menu is a steal at 3 courses + dessert for $39!
The smell of @cofaxcoffee's breakfast burrito being made is enough to drive you wild: smoked home fries, sizzling ancho chile-laden chorizo, fresh fried tortilla chips, and fluffy scrambled eggs all cradled in a warm flour tortilla. Add some slices of creamy California avocado, and it's pure burrito bliss. (@thestaceysun @letmeeatcake @ohjoy & @mkretovics me do it!)
If this knucklehead can grow veggies on a cement strip between two apartment buildings using old shopping carts as containers, so can you!
All the #LAFoodFriends were after a shot of my gorgeous bowl of homemade coconut granola and market berries, but can you blame em? Sometimes the simplest things are the best! Thx for the wonderful morning @whatsgabycookin and @aidamollenkamp!
Take a peek at Commissary, @ridingshotgunla's b-side to POT that's really a hit on it's own. This gorgeous greenhouse restaurant in #KTown does veggies justice! Link is in my profile.
Sunset over the Pacific with a glass of @SilverOak cab @TerraneaResort. Doesn't get more California than that, folks.

12 Responses to “Cooking North African-Inspired Citrusy Sweets On The Queen Latifah Show”

1. crack

Thank you, I’ve recently been searching for information approximately this subject for ages
    and yours is the greatest I’ve came upon till now.
    But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive concerning the
    source?

2. plastic surgeon ximed

Aside from that, interview former patients to obtain first-hand insight into a particular cosmetic surgeon’s
    methods, approach, and techniques to plastic surgery. And a proficient plastic
    surgeon with a lot of experience, can take that even further.
    Women are more likely to undergo plastic surgery but some
    males also undergo this medical procedure if they think they
    need to have some major changes in their body.

3. self tan wipes

Every year I have friends along with their wives that stay for Bike Week.
    You can get positive results of golden brown color with the help
    these spray tanning products. As the mousse is tinted it does stain the palms of your hands really easily.
    Like other processes, spray tanning also has its own advantages and disadvantages.
    With the help of few easy steps, spray tan can be applied from home.
    Fact is a great looking tan does make you look healthy and some people down right hot.

The companies engaged in such a service are known to make use
    of devices which are renowned in the industry. To be able to get the right product, you’d generally
    browse websites of different online sellers of such products
    and choose the most reliable one. This may take time to register your business and
    obtain all the correct licenses. If you find a problem with a LV bag they will usually accept returns.

4. Boca Raton CPAt test ct

Two questions frequently asked by Network
    Marketers are What kind of business records do I have to keep for the IRS.
    In a photography business in particular, here are a number of items that are assets to be
    listed for your business. The online offering will cost
    you $99 to setup up with monthly fees.

Check out my page :: Boca Raton CPAt test ct

5. marine refrigerator window screen repairs miami

Furthermore, feeding live food is difficult as all live meals have a
    much higher risk in bringing bad bacteria or microorganisms that maybe harmful to your fish.
    With the high temperature sensitivity of some perishable goods, it’s easy to understand why so many companies rely on vacuum insulated panels such a Thermo – Cor to ensure the quality of their products.

Use your guam tar on the net trap and go at least two squares away from it.

Feel free to surf to my webpage … marine refrigerator window screen repairs miami

6. moving companies in michigan city indiana

During the entire packing and moving processes,
    moving firms of Delhi NCR provides utmost care. The equation is the other way around and long distance movers would not be ideal
    for local moving jobs. In a consumer service
    industry where each member’s professional integrity is collectively criticized by mainstream media pundits at the start each new moving
    season, Interstate is one of the good guys.

My web-site – moving companies in michigan city indiana

7. dove fake tan

We’ll show how to accomplish this with just a few simple steps.
    Since 10% of California’s budget goes to pay for its prison system, the idea
    is that AB 109 will free up billions in the state budget. Back to your
    skin check, the first time you do the check be sure to
    take as many pictures as possible to show what your skin looks
    like.

Look into my blog dove fake tan

8. nose job uneven nostrils

The questions you should ask your plastic surgeon before rhinoplasty should be about the safety of the procedure, its efficiency,
    and most importantly, its appropriateness for your body and whether it would offer results in line
    with your expectations. Nathan Newman is world renowned for his advanced cosmetic surgery procedures.
    Those who want to get rid of such problems must have tried various anti-ageing products, but found no
    result.

My homepage … nose job uneven nostrils