Cooking North African-Inspired Citrusy Sweets On The Queen Latifah Show

Posted by & filed under food.

IMG_0409

I first fell head over heels with rose water backpacking through Northern Africa. The delicate floral flavoring is used around the globe in many applications from Middle Eastern candies like Turkish delight and baklava to Southeast Asian sweets like bandung and Indian rice puddings. When used sparingly, it adds a subtle aromatic quality unlike any other. And it’s particularly wonderful when added to sweet dishes using winter citrus, like my orange rosewater polenta cake.

So when Curtis Stone rung me up to come cook my favorite citrus dish for the Queen (Latifah, that is!), I happily obliged and went to my exotic cake. I mean, she’s on fire right now with the Grammys and the Super Bowl appearances.

Though I’d love to take credit for being the first to bake using rose water, it’s been utilized in baked goods for quite some time now. In fact, up until the 19th century, bakers across the globe commonly used rosewater before vanilla became popular. It also is a nice accompaniment to citrus, so we decided to riff on an old recipe from Gourmet Magazine to make something truly unique for the Queen and her court.

You can find the recipe here. And of course, be sure to watch the show Tuesday on CBS!

As we usher in sweaters, fall spices, gourds, et al, I'm saying goodbye to my summer lover -- @carmelaicecream's strawberry buttermilk. See you next year, you sweet thang you!
Sundays in Ojai are all about long hikes followed by roadside BBQ, and the smell of tri tip and chicken over smokey red oak are the iconic signature scents of the Central Coast. Those Santa Maria rancheros sure knew what was up!
Completely obsessed with this farm/resto combo in Ojai. Super rare that I go the same place twice when traveling, but after dinner I had to come back for brek. Menu is completely veg and I didn't even notice until talking to the chef last night -- so many awesome options with produce from their adjacent farm, plus fresh spelt breads and wood fired pizzas. Def a must if you're in town!
Brown bags in graffiti-lined alleyways, Simmons style. No 40s here, just ballin lox and bagel courtesy of @wexlersdeli and @mkretovics.
Absolutely LOVE roasted grapes this time of year, especially to compliment a thick, juicy steak. Made a massaged kale salad with cranberries, pumpkin seeds and bacon vin on the side. Perfect date night in w/ @mkretovics! #thisisfall #freshfallfare #paleo #roasting #beef #steak #f52grams #feedfeed #foodandwine #instagood #instafood
For brekkie I riffed on one of my faves from @sqirlla and made brown rice topped w lemony sorrel, baby kale, avo and a sunnyside farm egg sprinkled w chèvre and a smattering of spicy mint corriander chutney. Missed the lovely cafe vibes, but it sure beats standing in line!
Snack time! Honeycrisp apples, local clover honey, and luxuriously creamy Saint Agur blue. Thank you @josiahcitrin for introducing me to what's quickly become my favorite double cream blue cheese!
Beyond excited to toast my girl @aartipaartipics, who just released her very first cookbook, Aarti Paarti: An American Kitchen With Indian Soul. Not only does it have amazing recipes (camomile cardamom donuts anyone?!?), but she wrote this thing WHILE pregnant with her darling wee one. As my dad would say, "That's one heckuva woman!" #aartipaarti #aartipaarticookbook
Gettin into my roots this afternoon -- raw radishes, beets, and carrots topped with herbed goat cheese, EVOO, beet greens & citrus, finished with @jacobsensaltco. Taste the rainbow.
I ❤️ being on the road, but boy am I happy to be home! (I do miss my glam squad @rachelleblanco and the @kohgendo tho, that's for sure!) #forkandvine
Why folks buy boxed mixes is beyond me...just 6 ingredients and 15 mins of prep for these deliciously simple ooey gooey brownies from @rachaelraymag. Love it!
Last night I made Vietnamese bun with seared bison shoulder. Bison rocks as a protein -- it's leaner than beef and half the price at Whole Foods -- and it was killer on top of this classic cold rice noodle salad with ginger, fish sauce, and lime.
Aaaaand that's a wrap on Brooklyn, folks! Love this crew. #forkandvine
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
Even tho I've never lived here, there's something about seeing this skyline that feels like home.
Oh my, fresh blueberry pie! That's my kinda crafty, @jogryfe. #forkandvine
It may look to pretty to be true, but I assure you, this background is legit. (So is my SE-Asian inspired lobster roll to go with their sauvy b! Can't wait to share the recipe!) #setlife #forkandvine #tastemade
Found my new favorite travel product on set of #forkandvine -- @damoneroberts @ampmskincaresystem -- loaded with toner, moisturizer and primer for day AND night! Long international flights will never be the same again. Brillz!
Lunch time in Long Island. A Cali girl's gotta have her avos, no matter where she goes.  #forkandvine
Basking in the Brooklyn light, marinating on the awesome that is @BrooklynWinery. #forkandvine

21 Responses to “Cooking North African-Inspired Citrusy Sweets On The Queen Latifah Show”

1. crack

Thank you, I’ve recently been searching for information approximately this subject for ages
    and yours is the greatest I’ve came upon till now.
    But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive concerning the
    source?

2. plastic surgeon ximed

Aside from that, interview former patients to obtain first-hand insight into a particular cosmetic surgeon’s
    methods, approach, and techniques to plastic surgery. And a proficient plastic
    surgeon with a lot of experience, can take that even further.
    Women are more likely to undergo plastic surgery but some
    males also undergo this medical procedure if they think they
    need to have some major changes in their body.

3. self tan wipes

Every year I have friends along with their wives that stay for Bike Week.
    You can get positive results of golden brown color with the help
    these spray tanning products. As the mousse is tinted it does stain the palms of your hands really easily.
    Like other processes, spray tanning also has its own advantages and disadvantages.
    With the help of few easy steps, spray tan can be applied from home.
    Fact is a great looking tan does make you look healthy and some people down right hot.

The companies engaged in such a service are known to make use
    of devices which are renowned in the industry. To be able to get the right product, you’d generally
    browse websites of different online sellers of such products
    and choose the most reliable one. This may take time to register your business and
    obtain all the correct licenses. If you find a problem with a LV bag they will usually accept returns.

4. Boca Raton CPAt test ct

Two questions frequently asked by Network
    Marketers are What kind of business records do I have to keep for the IRS.
    In a photography business in particular, here are a number of items that are assets to be
    listed for your business. The online offering will cost
    you $99 to setup up with monthly fees.

Check out my page :: Boca Raton CPAt test ct

5. marine refrigerator window screen repairs miami

Furthermore, feeding live food is difficult as all live meals have a
    much higher risk in bringing bad bacteria or microorganisms that maybe harmful to your fish.
    With the high temperature sensitivity of some perishable goods, it’s easy to understand why so many companies rely on vacuum insulated panels such a Thermo – Cor to ensure the quality of their products.

Use your guam tar on the net trap and go at least two squares away from it.

Feel free to surf to my webpage … marine refrigerator window screen repairs miami

6. moving companies in michigan city indiana

During the entire packing and moving processes,
    moving firms of Delhi NCR provides utmost care. The equation is the other way around and long distance movers would not be ideal
    for local moving jobs. In a consumer service
    industry where each member’s professional integrity is collectively criticized by mainstream media pundits at the start each new moving
    season, Interstate is one of the good guys.

My web-site – moving companies in michigan city indiana

7. dove fake tan

We’ll show how to accomplish this with just a few simple steps.
    Since 10% of California’s budget goes to pay for its prison system, the idea
    is that AB 109 will free up billions in the state budget. Back to your
    skin check, the first time you do the check be sure to
    take as many pictures as possible to show what your skin looks
    like.

Look into my blog dove fake tan

8. nose job uneven nostrils

The questions you should ask your plastic surgeon before rhinoplasty should be about the safety of the procedure, its efficiency,
    and most importantly, its appropriateness for your body and whether it would offer results in line
    with your expectations. Nathan Newman is world renowned for his advanced cosmetic surgery procedures.
    Those who want to get rid of such problems must have tried various anti-ageing products, but found no
    result.

My homepage … nose job uneven nostrils

9. Boca Raton CPAt

Deegan was arrested and charged with human trafficking and drug
    possession after cops busted in and found the girls being held hostage.
    Outsourcing accounting services for small business owners is workable for
    those who want to turn their focus on their companies
    and find a way to maximise their profitability. Itemized deductions and personal exemptions do not affect self-employment taxes.

Feel free to surf to my weblog Boca Raton CPAt

10. acne facials

However, sometimes we need to do something a little more
    adventurous, or perhaps a little more pointedly self-serving.
    There are many forms of lasers available for skin resurfacing.

By changing the size & shape of the nose, this cosmetic nose can positively influence the balance of facial features.

My web page – acne facials

11. xen fake tan

We’ll show how to accomplish this with just a few simple steps.
    Often the cancer can be removed from the skin, but 2,000 people still die
    annually, according to the American Cancer Society.
    Does it give out an aura of all-around cleanliness.

Feel free to visit my webpage; xen fake tan

12. hair care products pantene

Fortunately, there are a number of treatments available if you suffer from this unfortunate
    condition. The platinum blonde is a much sought after persona, and the look,
    an elegant and beautiful one if carried off properly, is a much desired and
    much employed part of dressing up. Have Some
    Much more Derm – Organic Care For The Locks.

my homepage :: hair care products pantene

13. john p miller CPA Boca Raton fl

For example, if your home office is 100 square feet and your home is a total of 2000
    square feet, then your percentage is 5%. Many people
    are making a lot of money promoting CPA offers, but as usual, there is a lot
    of misinformation floating around. Itemized deductions
    and personal exemptions do not affect self-employment taxes.

Take a look at my blog post … john p miller CPA Boca Raton fl