Cooking North African-Inspired Citrusy Sweets On The Queen Latifah Show

Posted by & filed under food.

IMG_0409

I first fell head over heels with rose water backpacking through Northern Africa. The delicate floral flavoring is used around the globe in many applications from Middle Eastern candies like Turkish delight and baklava to Southeast Asian sweets like bandung and Indian rice puddings. When used sparingly, it adds a subtle aromatic quality unlike any other. And it’s particularly wonderful when added to sweet dishes using winter citrus, like my orange rosewater polenta cake.

So when Curtis Stone rung me up to come cook my favorite citrus dish for the Queen (Latifah, that is!), I happily obliged and went to my exotic cake. I mean, she’s on fire right now with the Grammys and the Super Bowl appearances.

Though I’d love to take credit for being the first to bake using rose water, it’s been utilized in baked goods for quite some time now. In fact, up until the 19th century, bakers across the globe commonly used rosewater before vanilla became popular. It also is a nice accompaniment to citrus, so we decided to riff on an old recipe from Gourmet Magazine to make something truly unique for the Queen and her court.

You can find the recipe here. And of course, be sure to watch the show Tuesday on CBS!

Heaven, I'm in heaven...prop shopping with @dinexdesign @mujiusa. I want ALL THE THINGS. And by that I mean I need to get to Japan in 2015. This place is epic.
The Jambon Beurre @RepubliqueLA is proof that the simplest things are the best. Just a great baguette, a slathering of French butter, thinly shaved ham, and cornichons. Soaking in the sunlight and sipping rose with my girls, I could swear I'm in Paris. I just love it when food transports you like that. ✈️🇫🇷🍷
My Current Obsession? I'm losin' my noggin over this amazing #vegan mezcal eggnog @gmweho, crafted by @johnllamas @jasoneisner. It's made with coconut milk, masala chai, chocolate bitters, caramel agave, and my favorite Oaxacan spirit, then topped with a darling cocoa snowflake stencil. You can read all about this Mexican take on a Christmas classic at the link in my profile.🌲❄️💃
About to go shoot some cocktails, but first, a selfie in front of this @ironeyeretna. Who knew I could love a wall this much?
Just like @latimesfood and @kcrwevan, I have a "case of the @Ottolenghi s." I just can't stop reaching for Middle Eastern ingredients these days! Today I made roasted root veggies and yogurt spiced with cumin, coriander, and lemon and topped it with cilantro and pomegranate arils. So fresh and clean!
I love breakfast for dinner, so why not dessert for breakfast? Pictured: my apple crostata, pumpkin pie, and @whoanellycaters crisp. Yep, I want all the things.
My feminist icon isn't Beyonce, it's a bruised-up backpacker named Cheryl Strayed, who hiked a huge chunk of the Pacific Crest Trail solo. I hope that her journey that’s portrayed in the new film “Wild” (and maybe the stories of my solo travels, too) can inspire a new generation of fearless female travelers. You can read all about it in my new @LATimes Opinion piece. Link is in my profile.
Had a blast tapping into my inner kid to make these gingerbread A-Frames with @mkretovics and his little Lady J. The question remains: when can we eat them already?!?! (In addition to the whole imagination thing, I also have the patience of a child, apparently.)
Looking for a great gift for your favorite food, travel, or design lover? Check out my holiday gift guide, featuring items like these hilarious, adorably lettered goodies from @emilymcdowell_. Link is in my profile.
I made this delicious bourbon spiced persimmon bread inspired by @davidlebovitz @bonappetitmag and @beardfoundation using one of my favorite -- and oft misunderstood -- fall fruits. It'll make a wonderful host gift or addition to your holiday spread. That's a promise, Per Simmons 😉 Recipe link is in my profile.
Rainy day ramen @jinyaramenbar. Tonkotsu assari with pork broth, chashu, green onions, seasoned egg, spicy bean sprouts and thick noodles. Usually I go for the black but this is officially my new fave!
Makin it rain Parmesan on top of my rainy day lunch -- comforting, creamy polenta with slow roasted cherry tomatoes. Bring on the sweatpants and snuggling!
Rainy day eats after buying our tree: curried butternut squash and sweet potato soup topped with yogurt, cilantro and chile and a side of mulled wine. It's FINALLY feeling like winter and I'm loving it! 🍷☔️🌲🍲💃
My first time at archery. Guess you could call me Katniss. Someone PLEASE take me hunting! #thehungrygames  cc @evashockey @daidue
Believe it or not, the best thing I drank in Austin wasn't a craft cocktail or a local beer-- tho I did have my fair share of great ones! -- it was this incredible Kosmic Kombucha. The tropical pineapple and coconut flavors in the Groovy Green are juuust the right amount of sweet, plus you get a bonus shot of goodness from the wheatgrass! Also loved their Salty Dog with grapefruit, lime, orange, salt, and agave. I am SO needing to mainline this after yesterday's massive Thanksgiving feast!
Another Austin highlight was the cocktails and bar bites at Pulutan @quiaustin. My fave was the Filipino kinilaw -- a bright, tropical yellowtail ceviche made with hearts of palm, coconut milk, cilantro, red onion, lime, chiles, and coconut vinegar. I was so inspired by the unique, sweet acidity of the coco vinegar that I just ordered some and can't WAIT to cook with it at home! Further proof that coconuts are the superior fruit...and that Austin is a great food city. (Photo via @quiaustin) #discoveramerica #foodstoriesusa
Had an amazing time checking out @keithkreeger's stunning studio in Austin. He does earthenware for big dogs like @quiaustin @giadadelaurentiis @olamaieaustin and @uchiaustin. I swooped up some of these matte black and gold beauties (+ a few others from his super talented apprentice Eliana Bernard) and can't WAIT to play with them in the kitchen back home! Yay, new toys!!! #discoveramerica #foodstoriesusa
The fried chicken Sunday supper at Dai Due is going down as one of my top meals of the year for sure! Their succulent yogurt marinated/wet brined fried chicken with crispy, savory breading is so frickin finger lickin good. And those jalapeño butter pickles need to be jarred and sold, stat. Plus they serve local tipples like my new fave, a super rare, elegantly floral IPA from Lone Pint called Yellow Rose. Jesse and Tamara are KILLING IT and have really created something special -- a true Texas gem. (Photo via @daidue) #discoveramerica #foodstoriesusa
Big ol' beef ribs, mac n cheese, green beans, pickles and a Lone Star consumed to the tunes of the great Johnny Cash -- as it should be when in you're Texas. #discoveramerica #foodstoriesusa #TLTransportMe
Migas, chorizo, and Wrangler breakfast tacos at Torchy's, plus an epic game of ping pong with @mkretovics. Austin, you are GOOD. Keep it up and you're gonna have yourself a repeat customer! #discoveramerica #foodstoriesusa

21 Responses to “Cooking North African-Inspired Citrusy Sweets On The Queen Latifah Show”

1. crack

Thank you, I’ve recently been searching for information approximately this subject for ages
    and yours is the greatest I’ve came upon till now.
    But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive concerning the
    source?

2. plastic surgeon ximed

Aside from that, interview former patients to obtain first-hand insight into a particular cosmetic surgeon’s
    methods, approach, and techniques to plastic surgery. And a proficient plastic
    surgeon with a lot of experience, can take that even further.
    Women are more likely to undergo plastic surgery but some
    males also undergo this medical procedure if they think they
    need to have some major changes in their body.

3. self tan wipes

Every year I have friends along with their wives that stay for Bike Week.
    You can get positive results of golden brown color with the help
    these spray tanning products. As the mousse is tinted it does stain the palms of your hands really easily.
    Like other processes, spray tanning also has its own advantages and disadvantages.
    With the help of few easy steps, spray tan can be applied from home.
    Fact is a great looking tan does make you look healthy and some people down right hot.

The companies engaged in such a service are known to make use
    of devices which are renowned in the industry. To be able to get the right product, you’d generally
    browse websites of different online sellers of such products
    and choose the most reliable one. This may take time to register your business and
    obtain all the correct licenses. If you find a problem with a LV bag they will usually accept returns.

4. Boca Raton CPAt test ct

Two questions frequently asked by Network
    Marketers are What kind of business records do I have to keep for the IRS.
    In a photography business in particular, here are a number of items that are assets to be
    listed for your business. The online offering will cost
    you $99 to setup up with monthly fees.

Check out my page :: Boca Raton CPAt test ct

5. marine refrigerator window screen repairs miami

Furthermore, feeding live food is difficult as all live meals have a
    much higher risk in bringing bad bacteria or microorganisms that maybe harmful to your fish.
    With the high temperature sensitivity of some perishable goods, it’s easy to understand why so many companies rely on vacuum insulated panels such a Thermo – Cor to ensure the quality of their products.

Use your guam tar on the net trap and go at least two squares away from it.

Feel free to surf to my webpage … marine refrigerator window screen repairs miami

6. moving companies in michigan city indiana

During the entire packing and moving processes,
    moving firms of Delhi NCR provides utmost care. The equation is the other way around and long distance movers would not be ideal
    for local moving jobs. In a consumer service
    industry where each member’s professional integrity is collectively criticized by mainstream media pundits at the start each new moving
    season, Interstate is one of the good guys.

My web-site – moving companies in michigan city indiana

7. dove fake tan

We’ll show how to accomplish this with just a few simple steps.
    Since 10% of California’s budget goes to pay for its prison system, the idea
    is that AB 109 will free up billions in the state budget. Back to your
    skin check, the first time you do the check be sure to
    take as many pictures as possible to show what your skin looks
    like.

Look into my blog dove fake tan

8. nose job uneven nostrils

The questions you should ask your plastic surgeon before rhinoplasty should be about the safety of the procedure, its efficiency,
    and most importantly, its appropriateness for your body and whether it would offer results in line
    with your expectations. Nathan Newman is world renowned for his advanced cosmetic surgery procedures.
    Those who want to get rid of such problems must have tried various anti-ageing products, but found no
    result.

My homepage … nose job uneven nostrils

9. Boca Raton CPAt

Deegan was arrested and charged with human trafficking and drug
    possession after cops busted in and found the girls being held hostage.
    Outsourcing accounting services for small business owners is workable for
    those who want to turn their focus on their companies
    and find a way to maximise their profitability. Itemized deductions and personal exemptions do not affect self-employment taxes.

Feel free to surf to my weblog Boca Raton CPAt

10. acne facials

However, sometimes we need to do something a little more
    adventurous, or perhaps a little more pointedly self-serving.
    There are many forms of lasers available for skin resurfacing.

By changing the size & shape of the nose, this cosmetic nose can positively influence the balance of facial features.

My web page – acne facials

11. xen fake tan

We’ll show how to accomplish this with just a few simple steps.
    Often the cancer can be removed from the skin, but 2,000 people still die
    annually, according to the American Cancer Society.
    Does it give out an aura of all-around cleanliness.

Feel free to visit my webpage; xen fake tan

12. hair care products pantene

Fortunately, there are a number of treatments available if you suffer from this unfortunate
    condition. The platinum blonde is a much sought after persona, and the look,
    an elegant and beautiful one if carried off properly, is a much desired and
    much employed part of dressing up. Have Some
    Much more Derm – Organic Care For The Locks.

my homepage :: hair care products pantene

13. john p miller CPA Boca Raton fl

For example, if your home office is 100 square feet and your home is a total of 2000
    square feet, then your percentage is 5%. Many people
    are making a lot of money promoting CPA offers, but as usual, there is a lot
    of misinformation floating around. Itemized deductions
    and personal exemptions do not affect self-employment taxes.

Take a look at my blog post … john p miller CPA Boca Raton fl