Cooking North African-Inspired Citrusy Sweets On The Queen Latifah Show

Posted on February 4, 2014 by & filed under food.

IMG_0409

I first fell head over heels with rose water backpacking through Northern Africa. The delicate floral flavoring is used around the globe in many applications from Middle Eastern candies like Turkish delight and baklava to Southeast Asian sweets like bandung and Indian rice puddings. When used sparingly, it adds a subtle aromatic quality unlike any other. And it’s particularly wonderful when added to sweet dishes using winter citrus, like my orange rosewater polenta cake.

So when Curtis Stone rung me up to come cook my favorite citrus dish for the Queen (Latifah, that is!), I happily obliged and went to my exotic cake. I mean, she’s on fire right now with the Grammys and the Super Bowl appearances.

Though I’d love to take credit for being the first to bake using rose water, it’s been utilized in baked goods for quite some time now. In fact, up until the 19th century, bakers across the globe commonly used rosewater before vanilla became popular. It also is a nice accompaniment to citrus, so we decided to riff on an old recipe from Gourmet Magazine to make something truly unique for the Queen and her court.

You can find the recipe here. And of course, be sure to watch the show Tuesday on CBS!

Morning score at Goodwill. Went to donate clothes, then fell in love with this rad vintage Italian tin. Giving is a great thing!
Looking for the best places in Phoenix and Scottsdale to eat for the #SuperBowl this weekend? My list of the best bites is up at the link in my profile. This here's @pavlemilic of @fnbrestaurant, an absolute MUST if you're into exploring local Sonoran produce, grains and wines!
Admiring my 90's @heathceramics haul from an antiques shop in Eugene + this awesome woodworker's cheese board made from hickory and maple. I'd say I made out like a bandit, less the @nongskhaomangai sauce that was taken by TSA.
I'm out like this carpet. So long PDX and PNW. It's been real. You and your ridiculous teal floors will be greatly missed. #oregontrufflefestival
Well, that's one way to make new friends at the dinner table. Some just guy busted out a giant Tupperware FULL of white Alba truffles last night. Well played, sir. Well played. #oregontrufflefestival
Amazing Oregon white truffles foraged underneath the Douglas Fir forest. The bounty of the Pacific Northwest never ceases to amaze me.
Morning forage. #OregonTruffleFestival
Yesterday I got to tour the @WillLeatherGoods studio, owned by an incredible craftsman that got his start selling belts on the Venice Boardwalk and is now making some of my favorite, most delicious leather goods in all the land. These shoes, I can't even...
Truffles for dessert, and I don't mean chocolates. White Oregon truffle ice cream with crispy candied proscuitto and truffle poached pear from Red Wagon. Mind blown. #OregonTruffleFestival
Needing an afternoon pick me up, and boy did these guys deliver. Thanks for the glorious Geisha and kick arse chai kombucha, @coffeeplantroaster.
Good things come in pink boxes.
So much amazing local Oregon truffle action that the adorable pups hunted this morning. Fave bite was the lightly smoked pork belly, duck fat and jalapeño terrine with white and black truffle oil. Don't get it twisted, this oil is legit, just amazing truffles infusing light olive oil. Totally changed my opinion on the stuff. #OregonTruffleFestival
Holy f you guys, this place's dessert menu includes an entire section dedicated to whiskey + chocolate pairings, with candies made by their in-house chocolatier. My fave was the toasted coconut with alder wood smoked sea salt in organic semi sweet chocolate paired with Highland Park 12 yr Orkney. Uhm-aze!
Snapping a selfie with @blackberryfarm's champion truffle hunting dog Tom at the prelims of the #OregonTruffleFestival Juriad competition. Normally I'm not a celeb stalker, but this guy's the bawse!
Silver lining to weather delays: flights got diverted to Portland and I get to show @mkretovics @nongskhaomangai, one of my fav PDX eateries. Now time for a quick coffee tour for my first timer, then off to Eugene we go!
Really thrilled for @reesewitherspoon and @cherylstrayed for their Oscar nominations for the film "Wild." I found the movie totally inspiring as a solo female traveler, and wrote about its relation to my experience for the LA Times. My good friends @dametraveler reposted the piece on their site, which you can check out at the link in my profile. (Photo taken backpacking Karijini National Park, Northwestern Australia, 2007, #TBT) #darlingescapes #bbctravel
Super excited to be shooting more this year, and the burgers at Cassell's were a dream subject. They're tasty, but my fav item at the newly resurrected K-Town diner is the tuna melt made with perfectly poached belly and melty cheddar that oozes onto the griddle as it cooks, turning into a crackly, cheesy chip. Check out the gallery and story now @ link in profile.
Last night I roasted a chicken with lemon and thyme for Sunday supper with @mkretovics. It's one of my favorite #justonepot meals because I get to use the leftovers for salads, soups, and sammies all week. It's the gift that keeps on giving!
It's a perfect day for an Irish coffee, and I have to admit that Tom Bergins' seasonal pumpkin spice is freaking phenomenal. Glad I took the bartender's word on it since the whole PSL thing isn't normally my style. But damn, the real pumpkin, fresh ground nutmeg and subtle sweetness of the fresh whipped cream hug my soul on a rainy day like today. I may be fashionably late to fall, but it tastes so good.
Weekend forecast is looking even brighter because of this fantastic bouquet decked out with edible elements like flowering kale, kumquats, chamomile, and lavender. Thanks @clementinefloralworks and
@mkretovics for always making my day and knowing me so well. This is my favorite arrangement yet!

21 Responses to “Cooking North African-Inspired Citrusy Sweets On The Queen Latifah Show”

1. crack

Thank you, I’ve recently been searching for information approximately this subject for ages
    and yours is the greatest I’ve came upon till now.
    But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive concerning the
    source?

2. plastic surgeon ximed

Aside from that, interview former patients to obtain first-hand insight into a particular cosmetic surgeon’s
    methods, approach, and techniques to plastic surgery. And a proficient plastic
    surgeon with a lot of experience, can take that even further.
    Women are more likely to undergo plastic surgery but some
    males also undergo this medical procedure if they think they
    need to have some major changes in their body.

3. self tan wipes

Every year I have friends along with their wives that stay for Bike Week.
    You can get positive results of golden brown color with the help
    these spray tanning products. As the mousse is tinted it does stain the palms of your hands really easily.
    Like other processes, spray tanning also has its own advantages and disadvantages.
    With the help of few easy steps, spray tan can be applied from home.
    Fact is a great looking tan does make you look healthy and some people down right hot.

The companies engaged in such a service are known to make use
    of devices which are renowned in the industry. To be able to get the right product, you’d generally
    browse websites of different online sellers of such products
    and choose the most reliable one. This may take time to register your business and
    obtain all the correct licenses. If you find a problem with a LV bag they will usually accept returns.

4. Boca Raton CPAt test ct

Two questions frequently asked by Network
    Marketers are What kind of business records do I have to keep for the IRS.
    In a photography business in particular, here are a number of items that are assets to be
    listed for your business. The online offering will cost
    you $99 to setup up with monthly fees.

Check out my page :: Boca Raton CPAt test ct

5. marine refrigerator window screen repairs miami

Furthermore, feeding live food is difficult as all live meals have a
    much higher risk in bringing bad bacteria or microorganisms that maybe harmful to your fish.
    With the high temperature sensitivity of some perishable goods, it’s easy to understand why so many companies rely on vacuum insulated panels such a Thermo – Cor to ensure the quality of their products.

Use your guam tar on the net trap and go at least two squares away from it.

Feel free to surf to my webpage … marine refrigerator window screen repairs miami

6. moving companies in michigan city indiana

During the entire packing and moving processes,
    moving firms of Delhi NCR provides utmost care. The equation is the other way around and long distance movers would not be ideal
    for local moving jobs. In a consumer service
    industry where each member’s professional integrity is collectively criticized by mainstream media pundits at the start each new moving
    season, Interstate is one of the good guys.

My web-site – moving companies in michigan city indiana

7. dove fake tan

We’ll show how to accomplish this with just a few simple steps.
    Since 10% of California’s budget goes to pay for its prison system, the idea
    is that AB 109 will free up billions in the state budget. Back to your
    skin check, the first time you do the check be sure to
    take as many pictures as possible to show what your skin looks
    like.

Look into my blog dove fake tan

8. nose job uneven nostrils

The questions you should ask your plastic surgeon before rhinoplasty should be about the safety of the procedure, its efficiency,
    and most importantly, its appropriateness for your body and whether it would offer results in line
    with your expectations. Nathan Newman is world renowned for his advanced cosmetic surgery procedures.
    Those who want to get rid of such problems must have tried various anti-ageing products, but found no
    result.

My homepage … nose job uneven nostrils

9. Boca Raton CPAt

Deegan was arrested and charged with human trafficking and drug
    possession after cops busted in and found the girls being held hostage.
    Outsourcing accounting services for small business owners is workable for
    those who want to turn their focus on their companies
    and find a way to maximise their profitability. Itemized deductions and personal exemptions do not affect self-employment taxes.

Feel free to surf to my weblog Boca Raton CPAt

10. acne facials

However, sometimes we need to do something a little more
    adventurous, or perhaps a little more pointedly self-serving.
    There are many forms of lasers available for skin resurfacing.

By changing the size & shape of the nose, this cosmetic nose can positively influence the balance of facial features.

My web page – acne facials

11. xen fake tan

We’ll show how to accomplish this with just a few simple steps.
    Often the cancer can be removed from the skin, but 2,000 people still die
    annually, according to the American Cancer Society.
    Does it give out an aura of all-around cleanliness.

Feel free to visit my webpage; xen fake tan

12. hair care products pantene

Fortunately, there are a number of treatments available if you suffer from this unfortunate
    condition. The platinum blonde is a much sought after persona, and the look,
    an elegant and beautiful one if carried off properly, is a much desired and
    much employed part of dressing up. Have Some
    Much more Derm – Organic Care For The Locks.

my homepage :: hair care products pantene

13. john p miller CPA Boca Raton fl

For example, if your home office is 100 square feet and your home is a total of 2000
    square feet, then your percentage is 5%. Many people
    are making a lot of money promoting CPA offers, but as usual, there is a lot
    of misinformation floating around. Itemized deductions
    and personal exemptions do not affect self-employment taxes.

Take a look at my blog post … john p miller CPA Boca Raton fl