Mastering the art of the juice cleanse

Posted by & filed under food, travel.

So I just finished a 3-day juice cleanse. Yup, that’s right. Me. No food. Seventy-two hours. I can read your mind as you’re looking at the screen, thinking to yourself, “There’s no way I could ever do that. I need to eat.” Guys, I work as a food and travel writer. I am not one to skip meals. I eat. A lot. And I’ve never felt as energized as I did during those 3 days. Ever.

Sure, I’d done cleanses before. There were those terrible Colon Cleanse pills from Trader Joe’s that made my gut feel like I’d been sucker punched by Rocky Balboa. Or the liquid Master Cleanse, whose astringent citric acid and cayenne pepper made me feel like I had an ulcer the size of a lemon. I quit both a few days in. But with this juicing business, there wasn’t a single moment where quitting seemed remotely appealing. I could have gone for longer, in fact. That clean, green juice was like rocket fuel!

Just look at what I accomplished in three days: cleaned my entire house (I mean really cleaned, which is a rarity); filed my taxes; responded to all of my emails that stacked up from two weeks of travel, completely emptying my inbox (!!!); went through all of my paper mail; finally organized getting my car fixed; completed an entire to-do list; pitched publications I’d been meaning to for months, but put off; exercised; cleared out my closet; and most importantly, made myself feel healthy again.  Pretty amazing considering I could barely get out of bed 6 days ago.

Which brings me to the rewind. I’ve been traveling a lot lately. A lot being twelve flights in the past 4 months, 6 of which were international. I know, boo hoo, but it takes a toll on your body. After retuning home from Baja California del Sur last week, I got sick. Really sick. It wasn’t by any means the food in Baja (which was AMAZING!) — it couldn’t have been because too much time elapsed for food poisoning to be an option. Besides, I can eat in at any street food cart around the globe and be hunky dory. It was my body’s way of telling me to make a change. So as soon as I could walk again, I started juicing. And juicing. And juicing.

There wasn’t much method to my madness. I tried to base my concoctions off of what’s inside the Blue Print Cleanse, which I was turned on to at the new LA-based yoga/supper club Downward Dining. My meager freelancer budget didn’t allow for the BPC’s $65/day price tag, so I stocked up on heaps of organic kale (calcium, iron, vitamin A), spinach (calcium, iron, vitamin B, good for liver/kidney functioning), lemons (vitamin C), ginger (vitamin C), cucumbers (magnesese, potassium, helps lower blood pressure), parsley (vitamin C), beets (vitamin A, good for circulation), carrot juice (vitamin C), coconut water, and raw apple juice.  Since I have yet to steal my parents’ juicer, I just used a blender to mix all of the items together. Yes, that meant that my drinks were a bit chunky, but like I said, I have a stomach of steel. But if you’d like to donate a turbo-charged Vitamix blender to my cause, by all means… (Can’t blame a girl for trying, right? You can make almond milk in those things!)

For my three main “meals” I’d throw a few cups of the greens in the blender along with some liquid and a healthy portion of grated ginger. Blending it means that you don’t lose any of the enzymes in the plant matter. I’d add some cayenne (good for circulation and digestion) to my  mid-day drinks, and if I craved a little sweetness I’d put in a dabble of organic agave syrup (it’s low glycemic index makes it easy to process). If I needed a snack, I made a smaller juice or some green tea. And I hydrated — a lot. There were a few moments where I simply needed something solid, so I had a couple slices of cucumber or 1/4 of an avocado, per the Blue Print model.

On day two of the cleanse, I decided to pop over to one of my favorite spots, Silverlake Juice and Tea for a break in my juicing routine. They’ve got all the nifty juicing gadgetry (see: Vitamix) and organic goodies to make even better tipples, and I needed a break. Low and behold, a lovely fella behind the bar invited me to a juicing class hosted by the shop’s owner, Baba Ji, that happened to be going on this weekend.

The class was a mixed bag of folks, but everyone shared a common interest in heightening their health. Baba Ji was just the guy to share the knowledge. Several years back, he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Instead of tossing back a cocktail of pills, he decided to juice. And it worked. Fifty pounds lighter with a radiant energy, he’s the poster boy for the lifestyle.

“It’s not brain surgery. What you put in your body, that’s what you are,” he says, taking a Brillat-Savarin approach to the whole thing.

But there are a few rules that Baba abides by without fail. The first is to drink your juice within 5-7 minutes of producing it so that the enzymes don’t break down, oxidize, or separate. Second is to buy organic, especially if you’re doing a cleanse. Do you really want to be mainlining pesticides into your liver? Didn’t think so. Most importantly, he advises avoidance of anything with sugar before noon. For breakfast, he recommends going straight for his signature juice: a refreshing mix of dandelion (good for liver functioning), cucumber, lemon and ginger. After noon is time for sweeter juices, like a mix of orange, ginger, and lemon, or a beet-based juice. Like most things in life, it’s all about the timing. And of course having fun! Don’t worry about being rigid with proportions of apples to oranges, just tweak things as you go. You’ll figure it out. As for materials, Baba’s favorite juicer is the Omega 330. And if you’re want to stimulate your mind while you work on that bod, take a peek at Deepak Chopra’s “Ageless Body, Timeless Mind.”

Now, Baba is not a big fan of this whole “cleansing” business per se. He believes that your body does that on the daily, so if you’re treating it right — especially in the morning — your liver, kidneys, and other organs should be functioning just fine. But if you did want to do a fast for a few days, be sure to ease your way out of it. Don’t shock your body immediately with chicken fried steak. Ween yourself back onto the solids with things like greens, steamed veggies, whole grains, and small doses of lean protein.

It shouldn’t have to be a big production though. I was amazed at how people consoled me when I’d explain why I was turning down ‘ritas at El Chavo or lattes at Intelli. “You don’t need to lose weight! Why are you juicing?” It’s so not about that. It’s about feeling better. Living better. Being better. Try it. You’ll see.

38 Responses to “Mastering the art of the juice cleanse”

1. Caroline

Love that you did the juice cleanse without the expensive juicer. I’ve been wanting to try it myself but figured I’d need the equip first. Now I have no excuse! By the way, did you feel ill the first days of the cleanse? I heard that’s what happens.

• Krista

nope, didn’t feel ill, but it could have been that i was deathly ill the few days beforehand so my system was used to being empty/feeling shit. the main feeling i had was just HUGE amounts of energy. nights 1 and 2 i found it hard to fall asleep.

2. MyLastBite

I had planned on starting a juicing cleanse TODAY, and was dreading it all weekend. Reading your post made me feel EXCITED about it!

THANK YOU.

• Krista

good luck, Jo! keep me posted on how you do. and thanks for reading, of course :-)

3. tallnoe

I’m so with Caroline on the whole “needing a juicer” thing. I can do it with a blender instead – YAY!! Thanks for the post.

• Krista

totes, just remember: chug, chug, chug. or use cheesecloth to strain, like alex suggests below. it is good to get that plant matter/fiber though.

4. Alexandra

Next time, FYI, you know what you can do? Strain your juice through a cheesecloth. That’s how I make my homemade apple juice and almond milk. I looooove it!

• Krista

I do have a few, and I’ll post them next week. One of my all time favs is carrot, apple, ginger, and a squeeze of lemon. SL juice also does a smoothie with coconut water, coconut meat, kale, banana, walnuts, and agave that I die for, but that requires a blender. Stay tuned! And of course, thanks for reading!

5. Esi

Like everyone else, I love that you did this without an expensive juicer which has always been my hesitation. Would love to know what recipes you used (if any). I’ve been thinking of doing a cleanse for at least a month!

• Krista

Do it! I’ve noticed that I’m making much healthier choices now that the cleanse is over, and I’m still juicing in addition to eating solid food. It works wonders for productivity. Speaking of which, I’ll post a few of my fav juice combos later this week. Good luck to you.

6. Vivian

Thanks for this, Krista! So nice to read about juicing and how its about “feeling better. Living better. Being better.” I think I am going to give it a try next week!

• Krista

Thanks, Vivian! Be sure to let me know how it goes. I’m going to post a few juice combo recs within the next coupla days, so stay tuned :-)

7. Dan

You’ve motivated me to start a juicing diet!!! My first blend was four hot dogs, a baby bell cheese cube, half & half, and kale! I was thinking of putting some garlic salt in there but I chose to be healthy instead

8. rexjohnson

Really it’s a nice post and helped me out a lot. These amazing and creative info are actually helpful for searchers like me.
    Also you will find some more interesting facts about…………..Organic juice cleanse

I really enjoyed reading your post…..Thanks again!

9. Jesus Bullard

I simply wanted to appreciate you yet again. I do not know the things that I could possibly have worked on in the absence of the type of suggestions shown by you relating to such a subject matter. It was before the frightful circumstance for me, nevertheless understanding a new specialized avenue you solved the issue forced me to jump with contentment. Now i’m grateful for your assistance and expect you are aware of a powerful job you happen to be accomplishing training some other people with the aid of a site. I am sure you have never encountered all of us.

10. Darm reinigen

Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back later in life. I want to encourage you continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

11. reviews ereader

I could possibly research this all day!! With any luck , you have
    an RSS feed I could register for. I have been on the lookout throughout the
    site with respect to information relevant to food.

12. nicoderm product reviews

I am going to research this all day!! Maybe you’ve got an RSS feed I’m able to sign up to.

I’ve been really on the lookout throughout the internet with regards to stories with regard to food.

13. colon cleanse tea uk

It’s the best time to make a few plans for the long run and it is time
    to be happy. I’ve learn this submit and iif I may just I wish to counsel you some attention-grabbing issues oor advice.
    Perhaps you could write subsequent articles referring to this article.
    I desire to read moire issues about it!

• Margarita

(I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the corcret place as I was unable to post it from the Dashboard.)The type of physician I would like to work with is a gerontologist. A gerontologist specializes in caring for the elderly. I have a fondness for our older population. They built out society and lived in a time that many of us can learn from. I would take great pride in caring for them as they age. In my opinion, working with a doctor that shares my passion and excitement would be the ideal work environment.The type of physician I would not be as excited to work with would be a proctologist. To be completely honest, I just don’t think I have what it takes to be in that environment. It’s important to be professional in any medical environment. I believe my sense of humor would not allow me to be as professional as I would need to be. I would also prefer not to work with ophthalmologist. Several years ago I spent a week with my grandfather at a specialist to have cataracts removed. I found it very difficult to watch the videos of my grandfather’s up coming procedures. It wasn’t difficult caring for my grandfather after surgery, but I must admit the pre-op was an experience that I would not want to assist in on a daily bases.

14. reviews omega j8006

Right here is the perfect website for everyone who hopes
    to understand this topic. You know a whole lot its
    almost tough to argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa).
    You certainly put a brand new spin on a topic that has
    been discussed for decades. Wonderful stuff, just great!

15. detox juice recipes

I merely could not disappear completely your internet site ahead of indicating which i highly enjoyed the normal information an individual supply on your own readers? Shall be once more regularly to be able to examine completely new content

16. Avis

Hi just wanted to give you a quick heads upp and let youu knmow
    a ffew of the images aren’t loading properly.
    I’m nott sure why but I think itts a linking issue.

I’ve tried it inn twoo different inernet browsers annd
    botth shokw the same results.

17. how to make a sagittarius man love you

Hi! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
    I’m getting fed up of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking
    at alternatives for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point
    me in the direction of a good platform.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1.  My favorite juicing flavor combos | Krista Simmons
  2.  Bourbon banana bread and Old Fashioneds, a match made in heaven | Krista Simmons